Tuesday, November 19, 2013

TRAVELIN' TUESDAY



I always loved riding in the car on the gravel roads in southeast Missouri when I was a wee kid.

Me, as a wee kid.

I didn't live in southeast Missouri, but my grandpa did.

Mooing at the cows was so much fun, and getting excited over seeing some "horseflesh" standing inside a white rail fence.



I learned the term "horseflesh" from watching T.V. westerns like Gunsmoke and the Rifleman.



Also words like "hogleg," "redskins," "livery stable," "mesa," "outlaws," "gun slinger," "schoolmarm," "badlands," "saloon," "rustler," "devil wire," "line shack," "lynching," "claim jumper," "stagecoach," "spurs," "red eye," "blacksmith," "squatter," "lasso," "ambush," and "sarsaparilla."

Yes...that's how you spell sarsaparilla. 

So, don't let anyone tell you that television isn't edumacational!


HAVE A TREMENDOUS TRAVELIN' TUESDAY!!

4 comments:

  1. We did watch plenty of westerns as kids. I liked traveling the roads down to the country, I just hated ending up at Grandpa's. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Ha! It's like when I was at Ft. Lewis, Washington. Amazingly beautiful area to walk through, but my drill sergeant always was waiting for me in the end!

      Delete
  2. You r a cutie! Hey The Rifleman & all the old western show were my favorite. Still are. :) Great blog . my friend. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yellow Rose Of Texas! I reckoned you'd like it, mam! Happy trails to you!!!

      Delete